Thursday, February 19, 2009

attention everyone!!

hey! i'm entering stuff in the ASU art expo this semester! ima bout to ride over there and help casa install our pieces and check out all of the awesome art everyone's been working on this year. i can't wait to see what people have been doing. it is really easy to get wrapped up in my own little world; the tiny still lifes and miniature portraits, the simple pen line drawings...hands, faces, hands, cups, hands, phones, coffee and spit and purple and cross-hatches and contour lines and (more recently) comics. gonna be really refreshing and inspirational (hopefully) to get a look at some new stuff my peers are producing.
in other news, i have noticed that a big difference between my way of creating art and my friend, Laura's is that i tend to translate images into lines intersecting and separating space, whereas i think laura understands shapes and patterns a lot better than i do. she is really good at allowing a shape or a smudge or a shadow to represent important details, and it TOTALLY works. she did this really rad portrait of her and myself, based a picture of the two of us. she eventually used it as a wheatpasting (great stuff). i wish we had taken a picture of it! i would put it up here! do you have it laura? anyway i have the original...


trust me, it was rad.

anyway. come check out the art work at Wey Hall, tonight or tomorrow. or saturday? i think they are doing the voting either tomorrow night or saturday night. look at some beautiful works, vote on your favs, giggle a little. whatever you want to do.
i am really really hoping i will get some stuff chosen. i entered five drawings from my journals that i got blown up and printed on nice paper (sooooo stoked! i can't comprehend my little journies lookin so sexy in poster form), and also that embroidered portrait of my friend, casa, that i made on a stretched canvas. i think the drawings are on the third floor, and fibers are on the second!! hoooraaaaay!! i'm so excited.

2 comments:

laura said...

you give me too much credit. i've lost confidence with my figure studies. i really have. i'm enjoying my camera, though, which is good - although i think the lenses are effed or i'm using the wrong speed... all blurry...

i have not yet gone to see your stuff but im totally going to! YOU HAVE TO SEE MY HOUSE IT IS TEH SEX cause i live in a real room now like a big girl (my room is so girly it's quasi-toxic) and my studio is now bigger than my room (i am the real thing. offically)

but now that my studio is in the big room we can get sassy with our messes and really do some stuff. and then shut the door and look at it no more!

i have so much wine at my house right now. ive had 5 cups of coffee today. i'm probably going to pee on myself or lose motor function pretty soon

hugs!

befrogeu

ps i blogged for you today

doug said...

i'm proud of you maggatron ;] i always keep up with your drawings 'n such on this here contraption and i wish you luck in the expo, even though i don't care if you win anything. i'm just excited that you're excited to have stuff on display, and if you get a neat prize or something out of it, i'll be excited for your excitement about that too. just keep having a fucking ball with it...please. in your ebullient absurdity sometimes lies my salvation.

in other news, i'll be in town in a week for the end-of-february birthday bash. YOU AREN'T GOING OUT OF TOWN AGAIN ARE YOU because we're probably getting real shitty that night and laughing about all kinds of things. laura's going to be the photographer (aren't you?) because her camera lens has magical properties that cause my intoxication to produce hilarious and heartwarming behavior. check "www.facebook.com" for examples.

anyways love you and all that

perifur - (n) the miniscule amount of hair present on perry david's body, which laura's camera lens causes me to admire/stroke/pull (again, see "www.facebook.com")